Dr. Marcus Benes is co-head of the Banking + Finance and Restructuring + Insolvency practice groups, and is also a member of the Capital Markets practice group. He advises banks and investors on international financing, complex restructuring, and sales of loan portfolios. He combines in-depth experience in the private sector, gained by restructuring a family business between 2001 and 2003, with many years of legal experience in international law firms.
Marcus Benes graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Vienna with a master’s degree and a doctorate in law. He also studied at the University of Pennsylvania, where he received his Master of Law (LL.M.) in 1996. In 2001, he received his Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the renowned Wharton School.
He is admitted to the bar in Austria and New York.
- Benes/Hofmann, The Austrian Restructuring Code (ReO), International Corporate Rescue, Volume 19 Issue 5 2022, 259
- Benes/Hofmann, Cross-border Insolvencies: Recognition and Enforcement in EU Member States from 1 January 2021 I Austria, 15.01.2021
- Benes/Liedermann, Bankgeheimnis und syndizierte Verträge, ZIK 2014/117, 96
- Benes/Winkler, Wichtige Neuerungen bei Finanzierungen, Verlagsbeilage, Wirtschaftsblatt, 15. März 2011
- Benes/Spiegel, Insolvenzordnung: Kreditvergabe und Insolvenzrisiken, RdW 2010, 758
- Benes, Operating under Changing Financial Conditions in Austria, in: Banking and Finance Client Strategies in the EU, Thomson Reuters/Aspatore (2009)
- Benes, Das österreichische Internationale Privatrecht – Kollisionsnormen/Austrian International Law – Rules of conflict of laws, LexisNexis Orac (2006)
- Benes, True-Sale Securitisation in Österreich, OBA 2005, 73
- Benes, International Banking Law and Regulation: Austrian Chapter, Sweet & Maxwell Ltd (ed. 1998)